Sunday, October 12, 2014

Two more Gardens of a King Blocks and it's Autumn

Tiny World Make Do Pincushion - Autumn

Autumn is here for sure! The temperature fell below zero last night - chilly but great weather for quilting or snuggling under a quilt! And I love the Autumnal colours and often use them in my quilts.

Close-up of my quilt A Challenging Year

Carrie of A Passion for Applique is testing Missie's Gardens of a King pattern. The pattern will be available from Traditional Primitives in the very near future. If you are interested in the pattern by all means let Missie know.

Carrie's version of the pattern is very different from mine. She has given her quilt a fresh, modern look by using contemporary fabrics. She recently gave her readers a sneak peak and you can see it here. I've gone with a more traditional look; I've used some Civil War style prints but I've also thrown in a few more modern prints because I thought that they worked well.

Here are the next two blocks in my Gardens of a King. This was an interesting block and I used two different construction methods. In the first I appliqued the hexagon and star points to the background fabric.

In the second block I appliqued the blue hexagons to the cream hexagon but the star points were pieced. If I were to made a third block I think that I would repeat the second method (piecing the star points) because it allows for a colour change in the background behind the star points.


I'm making good progress and soon will be able to add the background fabric around the circles. Missie's version is scrappy backgrounds in soft muted neutral. I've decided to use a single fabric (the one I've been photographing the circles) to give it a more uniform look much like the quilt which was the inspiration, the King George III coverlet.

King George III Coverlet

That's it for today. It is Thanksgiving in Canada so I've got some cooking to do today! Until I post again, happy sewing!
Karen H

11 comments:

  1. Happy Thanksgiving! I hope you have a lovely day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful little world in a cup! Happy Thanksgiving.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love this quilt! Definitely on my to do list once the pattern is released :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely little world pincushion, and I definately like the second block center best.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy Thanksgiving. Below 0?? I thought it was cold here when it got in the 60s....giggle. Your work looks lovely as always!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I too am inspired by the Fall colors and love using quilts again for cuddling and watching tv. Your pincushion is A D O R A B L E!

    ReplyDelete
  7. The blocks are looking awesome Karen! Love that little pincushion! Such tiny little details!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Below zero! Brrrrr. This Puerto Rican girl is cold at 72 - LOL. Where in Canada do you live? Love the blocks. What I like about them is that they are so different than what we see all the time. I would probably make them for the challenge, but not right now - way too much to do.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love what you are doing with these blocks, I've seen Carrie's too and thought hers' also looked great. Love that little peak of your autumn tree :-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Happy thanksgiving! More amazing blocks. I can't wait for the reveal.

    ReplyDelete